Let’s talk about pie. There’s nothing better than homemade pie. In fact, I’ve never met one I didn’t like. The only obstacle in my love affair with pie is that I’m terrible at making pie. Like really, really bad. Pie-making for me usually turns into a full cardio workout with a lot of swearing; some burned gunk in the oven, a huge mess in the kitchen and a sad, sad looking pile of fruit at the end. But there IS one pie that I can pull off consistently: Caramel Pecan Pie!
This pecan pie became part of our Thanksgiving celebration around the time my grandmother wasn’t well enough to make pie anymore. She was the expert pie-maker in the family, and she passed the torch to my mom. They make it look easy as…well, pie. Maybe with another decade of practice, I can achieve consistent results. Until then, I’ll stick to pecan pie.
When my buddies at Wayfair invited me to be a part of their Pie Bake Off*, I jumped at the chance. Not because I’m awesome at making pie; but because I love a good contest. And since I’ve only got one pie in my arsenal, deciding what to make didn’t require a lot of thought.
I’m sharing the recipe with you here today, in case any of you are similarly pie-challenged. Plus, it’s delicious. My husband claims it’s the best pecan pie he’s ever had. And he’s extensively explored the wide world of pecan pie. For real, though, the pie holds together beautifully without being too gloppy; and it’s topped with beautiful caramel-glazed pecans.
- Favorite homemade (or frozen) pie crust recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1 C. Karo syrup
- 1/4 C. packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 C. chopped pecans
- 1/3 C. packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 1/4 C. pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Prepare crust, according to your favorite recipe (or package directions)
- Roll crust to fit a 9" pie dish; with about 1" extra dough hanging over the sides.
- Gently ease the crust into the pie dish.
- Pierce with a fork in several places.
- Tuck the edges under, or make your favorite edge design
- 4 eggs (slightly beaten), Karo syrup, brown & white sugars, melted butter, vanilla and salt.
- Mix to combine.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour into pie pan
- Bake for 40 minutes. (check crust intermittently to make sure it's not burning).
- In a small saucepan, combine the butter, honey and brown sugar. Stir constantly over med/low heat until sugar is dissolved. Add the pecans and stir to coat.
- After the pie has baked 40 min; remove from over and spread topping evenly on top. Cover the edges of crust with foil and return to oven 10-15 minutes; or until the topping is bubbly and warm.
- Cool completely; and serve with vanilla ice cream.
*This post is sponsored by Wayfair. Recipe and photos are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands who support my work. Visit my full disclosure policy here, for more information on how I work with brands.