This is one of my most beloved, and most versatile recipes. I use it for cookies, cakes, and every manner of dessert where frosting is necessary. You can change the color, or the flavor to fit just about any recipe. And today I’m sharing it with you!
A couple of hints: use high-quality vanilla for this recipe. I love Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla; and Trader Joe’s is pretty inexpensive. The amount of mixing you have do do depends on the beginning temperature of the butter. If it was a little too cold to start with, you’ll have to mix it a bit longer. This recipe is quick, easy, and virtually foolproof. Here it is:
- 1 1/2 C. Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 C. Milk, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 7 C. Powdered sugar
- Use a stand mixer to cream butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy (about 3 minutes).
- Scrape bowl. Add milk, vanilla and half of powdered sugar. Mix slowly at first, then on medium for another 2-3 minutes. Scrape bowl, and add the remaining powdered sugar. Mix on medium for another 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape bowl one more time and mix for another 30 seconds .
- Use high-quality vanilla for the best flavor. I prefer Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla for this frosting.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use. Or keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature before using.